The contest runs from March 20th through June 20th, 2018/ The theme of the contest this year is «Luggage»/ First prize: A week’s holiday in the island of Crete/ First three winners’ stories published in two different anthologies (Greek and English)/ All the stories of the Shortlist will be published in a special English edition, released through amazon.com & strangedays books. Entry fee: 10 €/Judge: Maria Psoma-Petridou-
PRIZES & HONORABLE MENTIONS
First prize is a week’s holiday on the island of Crete. Three Rock, (Triopetra, Rethymnon, Crete) is a studio for 2 people (with beds for two children also available). Air tickets not included. You can see more details here: http://three-rock.blogspot.gr/
First prize winner can choose his/her preferred week of stay in 2019 except for the dates between July 15th – August 25th.
- First three prize winners will get a free copy of the book with the winning stories of our contest & a certificate & a Greek handmade ceramic from the collection of Omodamos Clayart (see below)
- All the shortlisted stories will be published in an anthology. The book will be released through “Strange Days” publications and http://www.amazon.co.uk in November, 2018
- All the shortlisted writers will also get a free copy of the book! First, Second and Third prize: publication of your story in an anthology of the shortlisted stories of the contest (Greek section), translated in Greek.
- The three prize winners will also get a free copy of the book with the winning stories of our contest & certification document & a Greek handmade ceramic from the collection of Omodamos Clayart*
- All the shortlisted stories will be published in an anthology. The book will be released through “Strange Days” publications and http://www.amazon.co.uk
- All the shortlisted writers will also get a free copy of the book & certification document. Plus a book from Strange Days Books –for free!!
- An interview with the first prize winner will also be featured in eyelands.gr
- In case the first prize winner does not claim the prize of a week’s holiday in Crete or does not book a specific week for her/his holidays at Three Rock Studio, the second (and then the third) prize winner will be notified in order to take her/his place.
* Entry fee: 10 €
*Judge: Maria Psoma Petridou
NOTE: Free entry for the shortlisted writers of previous contests
RULES OF THE CONTEST (ENGLISH SECTION)
* Theme of the contest: «Luggage».
*Entries must be short stories, of any genre, and maximum length is 2,500 words and must be previously unpublished in a book, printed magazine or web-based journal. Entries must be in English.
* The contest closes at midnight UTC on Wednesday, 20th of June
*This is an international contest. There is no restriction such as nationality etc of the author, but you have to be 18 years old on the 21st of March 2018 to enter the contest.
* No “eyelands” editor, judge, or relative of theirs, is allowed to enter.
* Entries must be submitted electronically (see below).
* Winners and the shortlist to be announced on September 10th, 2018
* Copyright of manuscripts remains to the author.
* In addition to the story being published on http://www.eyelands.gr, the author’s acceptance of the prize gives eyelands.gr the right to include the story in the anthology that will appear in book form. Entry grants permission to include the three prize winners and the shortlisted stories in the book which will be published and will be available from “Strange Days” publications.
* There is a limit for the stories to be published in the anthology: no more than 25. In case we receive more than 200 submissions, 12 more stories will be chosen and published online on eyelands.gr! Eyelands will feature one story every month, between November 2018 and November 2019
* There will be two collections of stories – one that will be published in Greek including the translated stories of the first three winners of the English Section and another one with all the Shortlisted stories of the English Section.
ENTRY FORM AND PAYMENT
Pay via paypal – See the banner in eyelands Home Page.
See also here: https://eyelandscontes.wordpress.com/
Click the «buy now» button. Fill the description with: Luggage
Entry fee is 10 euros
After the payment is complete, you can send the e-mail with your story attached in word. doc /docx format to: email@example.com
writing in the subject line: Eyelands Short Story Contest or just ΕSSC
An email confirmation that your entry has been received will be sent within three/four days after receiving your e-mail
*We don’t accept postal entries
* We do accept simultaneous submissions
* Every writer can submit more than one story as long as they pay the full entry fee for each story
* Name and address of the author should appear only in the body of the email
*The title of your story can be anything other than ‘’Luggage’’
*There is no entry fee for the prize winners of previous eyelands international short story contests
JUDGE/ Maria Psoma Petridou
Maria was born and lives in Thessaloniki – Greece. She is an English teacher. She has published two poetry collections, «Lifetime Service» 2006, «A second pair of wings» 2010. She writes poetry & fiction in Greek and English. A lot of her work has been published in Literature Magazines in Greece and online. In 2006 she was awarded the 2nd prize for her poem «The Bate» from the Greek – Australian Cultural League of Melbourne, in 2009 the 2nd prize: “Antonis Samarakis» for her story: “Even if it’s found it will chase me». This was also the title of her first short story collection, released in 2015 by Strange Days Books. In 2016 she published the novel «Second Pair of wings». Maria teaches Creative Writing and also writes a weekly column about books in Thessnews Newspaper & portal. She has been the co-ordinator of a book club for nine years. For the past four years she’s been a collaborator in http://www.eyelands.gr as well as a judge of its poetry and international story competitions.
ABOUT THREE ROCK
Three Rock is a very special studio just a few hundred meters from Triopetra beach, one of the most beautiful beaches of Crete. Three-Rock is a studio designed to accommodate two to four people the studio is one very large furnished room of 70 sq.m., (with separate bathroom) with a lot of space which allows you to cook, dine, or just relax all day if you prefer! Studio at the ground floor and apartment at the first floor are listed on: /air bnb, holiday lettings/ house trip etc.
Mind that Triopetra beach is at the very centre of South Crete, which means (provided you rent a car) easy access to places like Spili, Preveli, Plakias, Amari plateau (westward) & Agia Galini, Matala, Phestos (eastward)